Mindfulness…aka meditation…usually has a negative connotation with men. While stress can have a positive effect on you, here’s what happens when you leave it unchecked. Physically it will provide you with headaches, upset stomach, elevated blood sugar, chest pains, and sleeping issues. You can follow each of the symptoms to second and third order effects.
An increase in headaches may force you to miss time at work and at home. Elevated blood sugar will screw with your diet, making it hard to even think about losing weight. An increase in blood sugar long enough will also promote the presence of diabetes. Sleeping issues will lead you to lose focus, concentration, and zap your willpower.
Some quick facts about stress from WebMD:
- 43% of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
- 75%-90% of all doctor’s office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
- Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high-blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
Whatever image popped into your head about sitting on the floor with your legs crossed, touching your thumbs and pinkies together, and humming a mantra…forget it.
There are various methods of mediation. However my favorite right now is mindfulness training using:
Headspace provides super easy guided meditation sessions that’ll walk you through. Currently I do a 10-minute daily prescription. You can choose which package to use and how long you want your durations to last. They offer 10 free sessions AND should you choose to continue to use Headspace, search for them on Facebook, they offer a full year subscription 40% off (time sensitive).
25 Meditation Benefits
Benefits from Meditation (via artofliving.com)
- A calm mind
- Good concentration
- Better clarity
- Improved communication
- Relaxation and rejuvenation of the mind and body
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energy
- Anxiety decreases
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems become smaller
- Meditation sharpens the mind by gaining focus and expands through relaxation
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger, and frustration
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection
- Effortless transitions from being something to merging with the infinite and recognizing yourself as an inseparable part of the whole cosmos
- In a meditative state, you are in a space of vastness, calmness, and joy and this is what you emit into the environment, bringing harmony to the Creation/planet
- Mediation can bring about a true personal transformation. As you learn more about yourself, you’ll naturally start discovering more about yourself and love yourself.
How to Achieve Ultra High Performance
“From clarity, we can train our mind to have conviction in stressful environments.” ~ Dr. Michael Gervais
If you need further proof as to why you should begin meditation, take a look at Impact Theory’s interview with Dr. Michael Gervais at the 29:52 mark. The entire interview is one of my favorites.
- LeBron James
- Derek Jeter
- Misty May-Treanor
- Kerri Walsh
- A whole list of others
Worth a Shot
Seriously, what do you have to lose? Try the 10-day trial package and see what the improvements are. Like Quieting the Monkey, meditation will silence the noise in the mind to allow you to focus on what really matters.
You owe this to yourself and to the loved ones around you to improve yourself in this area.
If you decide to take the 10-Day Meditation Challenge I want to hear from you. Did it help you? Did it surprise you? Did it not work as you had hoped? Leave a comment!
Until next time,