Finding a Cure to Paralysis By Analysis

You’ve often heard the phrase “Paralysis by Analysis” used when describing seeking perfection.  But here’s why 80% is better than 100%

We’ll cover why 80% is better than 100%, how to cure paralysis by analysis with Jon Acuff’s book “Start,” and finally a 5-step plan on identifying the first step you need to complete your process…now.


Violent Execution

As US Army General George Patton once said, “A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” At the heart of this quote is the action of violently executing a plan now. NOW. How many times do we either sit around waiting for the perfect moment or hold back on execution because it’s not perfect? We miss tons of opportunity by subscribing to that logic!
To do nothing is the worst decision to make. Waiting for that 100% is, in essence, doing nothing. As an Army leader, plan on “Plan A” NOT working. But at least with the essential framework laid out in Plan A, Contingency Plans B thru Z have a better potential success rate.
Everyone has a plan until the first shots are fired. After that, you need to be proactive, reactive, and be active (kinda covered all the bases there huh?). The fact is that that 80% part of the plan will take you to the fight, you need to make up the other 20%


Cure Paralysis by Analysis

Paralysis By Analysis

START. written by Jon Acuff, is an excellent book that I’ve used that helped enable me to move forward and cure paralysis by analysis. In the book Jon writes, “Fear tends to argue both sides of the coin, leaving you absolutely no room to stand. Here are two of the complete opposite things it will tell you: “Don’t chase your dream at all.” And, “If you chase your dream, you have to do it all at once.”
He further writes, “Do you see the absurdity of that? “Don’t do it!” fear screams. Then, when you ignore those cries, fear changes its tactics and screams, “Do it all at once!”
Both of those statements are lies.
As you stand with one foot still on the road to average and one foot on the road to awesome, you’ve got to kill those concerns. Fortunately, there’s a trick that will take care of them both…Just start.”


Just start.


Obstacles will pop up along the way. They will be scary. They will be enormous. But with each conquered obstacle, the next obstacle won’t be nearly as frightening or intimidating.
Just the motion of taking that first step initiates Newton’s First Law of Physics. You’ve got to create momentum, build up steam, stoke the fires, charge ahead, jump over walls, and break through barriers. But that will never happen unless you take your first step.


5 Simple Step Process To Start

5 Simple Step Process To Start Paralysis By Analysis

A calendar. I typically wait until the last minute to accomplish deadlines. If I never place a deadline on a calendar, it’ll never happen. Here are the five simple steps I take to achieve tasks at hand:

  1. Place the event or goal on a calendar to provide a visual cue.
  2. Take the task and backwards plan to today. For example, if planning on a camping trip in 30 days. What needs to happen by Day 25? What needs to happen by Day 15? This week? Today?
  3. Lay out the plan and run it through “TheONEThing” focusing question. Ask “What’s the ONE Thing you can do today (this week, this month) such that by doing it everything else would be easier or unnecessary?”
  4. Identify that one thing you’ve discovered and take action on it. Don’t give any attention to any other tasks or sidebar until you’ve completed #1.
  5. Congratulations, you’re one step closer. Remember how you got down to #1? There’s bound to be #2 & #3 so don’t quit and keep going. For those of you who have been reading TheONEThing with me, you’ve just knocked over your first domino.

So there you go. We’ve covered why 80% is better than 100%, found the cure to paralysis by analysis with Jon Acuff’s book “Start,” and initiated a 5-step plan to identify the first step needed to complete the process today.


Always Believe,


Join the TrueNorth Community!




Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.